To date, ACRES has collected over 45,000 signatures from Singaporeans in support of a Universal Declaration on Animal Welfare!
Read Press Release here.
The scale of suffering for animals in the world today is unprecedented:
- Around 60 billion farm animals are used each year globally to produce meat, milk and eggs. The majority are raised in industrial farming systems where their welfare needs are not met.
- Globally, there are some 600 million dogs, and a similar number of cats, of which an estimated 80% are stray or unwanted.
- The illegal and often inhumane trade in wildlife and wildlife parts is a soaring black market worth $10 billion a year, exceeded only by arms and drug smuggling. Millions of wild animals are killed, captured or traded inhumanely in this shady business.
- An estimated 80% of power input on farms in developing countries is supplied by draught animals, however the resources made available are often woefully inadequate, leading to significant welfare issues.
- Animals are also affected on a huge scale by natural disasters, though seldom considered.
Do something amazing for animals today! Join ACRES in supporting a global campaign, organised by the World Society for the Protection of Animals (WSPA), calling for governments of the world to recognise animals as sentient beings.
Sign the petition to declare that “Animals Matter To Me”!
The campaign aims to achieve global recognition that animals matter, that they can feel pain and can suffer, and that we have a responsibility to put an end to cruelty around the world. Animal welfare groups around the world are seeking to collect 10 million signatures to let the governments of the world know we are serious about achieving a Universal Declaration on Animal Welfare (UDAW) at the United Nations.
For a global problem you need a global solution. A Universal Declaration on Animal Welfare would have a real, long-term impact on the welfare of billions of animals worldwide.